3.09.2013

Some Yummylicious Food


I've been having a ton of fun cooking and baking this year. I've really been trying to prepare healthier, more wholesome food for my family the last few months, and it's been really rewarding. Here are some favorites as of late, and please note, they are not ALL healthy. ;)

Pictured above: Homemade Lara Bars. I skipped the chocolate chips, and used some prunes with the dates, since we have a gazillion prunes we need to use. They're probably better without my changes but I love them! Highly recommend these guys! 


This is hands down my favorite quick dinner recipe. I need to rewrite it since over time it's morphed...and morphed some more. I use whatever kind of pasta I'm in the mood for (white wheat is my favorite with this), skip the chicken and mushrooms, add tons of tomatoes and spinach, and don't measure very accurately, but for me at least, this recipe always works. And without the chicken, it's really quick to make. I cook the pasta while sautéing the veggies, add the spinach and pasta together, toss to coat, sprinkle with parm, and that's it. Love. 


This baked oatmeal recipe is fantastic. Super yummy, super filling (we love it with a side of scrambled veggies and eggs) and feels way healthier than other baked oatmeals we've tried. We make a few changes. Instead of butter we use coconut oil and instead of maple syrup we use honey. 


I call these "healthy truffles." My brother Dave says that's misleading, and that they look misleading too, but really, I think these taste like almond joy candy bars, but they are totally healthy. I think they're decadent and rich tasting. You may disagree, like Dave, who said they were good but not as good as they looked. I think you should try them for yourself, and I think you'll love them. (If you don't, I'll totally eat your leftovers!) I used unsweetened coconut and raw, unsalted almonds, and thought these were perfection.


This was our first time making and trying Chicken Tikka Mansala. While ours didn't look as good as the batch I pinned on Pinterest, it tasted amazing. We are so making this again!


And we made Garlic Naan to go with the chicken tikka mansala. This stuff was incredible. Mmm, I'm practically drooling at the memory! Try it try it try it! Source: http://usmasala.blogspot.com/2010/08/garlic-naan.html?m=1


And a few more recipes we've tried and loved lately, but have not photographed: 

The most incredible homemade pizza ever! We did half wheat flour for the crust and topped ours with green bell pepper, roma tomatoes, black olives, pineapple and jalepeno. And mozzarella and parm of course. And we've made it twice in the last 5 days. 

You guys know I'm a bit of a snob when it comes to baking. I thought there was no way this cake could be good, since it's microwaved. I was wrong. So so wrong. This is perfect for when you're craving something delicious but need portion control.  And I just have to add, Chocolate Covered Katie (the blog this recipe comes from) is my new favorite place to find dessert recipes. 

This stuff is GOOD. We've made it a few times and have been tweaking it to make it more our style. I'll post our take on it on my (old and very neglected) recipe blog soon-ish.

Oh my. It's amazing! I made it for Valentine's Day, and it went fast. Iris LOVED it, and while it's high in fat, it's a cake that I personally felt no guilt sharing with my little one. 

We've been talking about making this soup since it was served to us at a friend's house. It's my new special-occasion favorite soup recipe. Served with crusty bread this is just fantastic. 

Shaun is really in love with Cafe Rio's sweet pork. I'm not a big fan, personally  I think sweet meat is kinda gross. But this was actually pretty splendid. We made this for Shaun's good friend Kelly and his wife, who are moving out of state soon, as a sort of farewell dinner. I don't know if I'd make it again for myself, but for my handsome husband, yes. He loved it. 


I feel like we've been branching out a lot more lately with what we're trying, and it's exciting. What are some of your favorite new recipes lately? I'm always looking for something new to try! :)

6 comments:

  1. YUMMM!!!! i can't wait to try a bunch of these! thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. these do look really good! do you have the link for the garlic naan? that stuff looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm so glad you caught that! The link is http://usmasala.blogspot.com/2010/08/garlic-naan.html?m=1

      Delete
  3. I really want to start enjoying cooking more. All of these recipes look fantastic! I will have to use this as a resource to try to get ideas and try new things! I just had indian food for the first time a few weeks ago, so that chicken tikka mansala and nan are making me extra hungry right now! mmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad I'm not the only newbie to amazing Indian food! I've heard there is also a sort of dessert naan, I'm dyng to try it! I just love that stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy you enjoyed the lara bars! I love them too!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!

Search Our Blog

Pageviews

Translate