9.14.2013

(Trying to be all domestic...) Attempting to Make Homemade Hot Pockets


Do you like hot pockets? I had a weird obsession with them my first couple years of college (well, maybe not weird, I imagine eating gross processed food that microwaves in seconds is probably a normal theme of college-dining. I just think it's weird that I craved them, and paid $4 for a box of 2 of those things on a regular basis for two years, in retrospect...)

Well, regardless of how you feel about hot pockets, this post is all about them. Even though I'm not a big fan nowadays, a few weeks ago I realized that we were completely out of most of our packed-lunch-staples, and payday wasn't for another couple weeks, so I decided to wax frugal. I made a trip to the market and picked up some supplies (found a carton of organic eggs on clearance because 4 were ruined, some "natural" ham on sale, stuff like that...) Then I made a wheat dough for some homemade "meal pockets" and gathered up some "fillings" I thought Shaun would like (pepperjack and cheddar cheese to go with the ham and eggs), and got cooking. The result? 24 hot pocket-sized meal pockets, made with whole wheat crust and other ingredients I felt good about feeding my family, all for less than a total of $4.50. I wrapped each up and froze them so all they need is a quick turn in the microwave for a fast meal. Do I like these things? No less than normal hot pockets. Shaun likes them, and they're awesomely cheap and really not hard to make at all. Here's the "how-to:"

Make your dough. I just used pizza dough. Next time I think I'll make my crescent roll dough, I'll let you know how it works. Or just look up homemade hot pockets on pinterest. Pretty sure it's oozing with good recipes.

While the dough rises, prep your fillings. Slice cheese, cube meat, cook eggs, prep any sauces you're using...



And then roll out the dough. I split my dough into 3 section, and rolled each into a crooked rectangle and sliced it into 8.


Then load em up....



Pinch em shut....


Brush lightly with olive oil, if you want, sprinkle with Italian herbs, if you want, and bake....

....

And wah-lah!



Great cheap, quick grab-and-go meals. One of these plus an apple, string cheese and some baby carrots and Shaun's a happy man. Obviously I rolled my dough a bit too think. I was worried about these being to bread-y, and the opposite sort of happened. Alas...

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting!

Search Our Blog

Pageviews

Translate