10.28.2013

Meeting Lil' Man's Birth Parents

Last week we got a phone call that a birth mother and birth father were considering placing with us, and wanted to meet with us that night...and that their son had already been born, that morning! Lil' Man's birth parents were meeting with one other family after us, and so we felt a bit antsy. I baked two plates of chocolate chip cookies (and we're weirdos who don't use all-purpose flour, we like whole wheat pastry, so we borrowed some "normal stuff" from our sweet neighbor, and told her what was going on, it was nice to have her rooting for us :) ) and we took some flowers and a card over to the hospital that night and tried to not get our hopes too high, but you know us--they were sky high.

I've always had a feeling that this next adoption would be a really last-minute one, plus the calendar date the day Lil' Man was born on--I vividly remember one year before, I'd been pacing around thinking "We're supposed to have baby today. RING PHONE!" For real. I know, I'm a weirdo. I had just felt like we were supposed to have a baby that day, a year before. So our hopes were high, but we were trying to be realistic too.

But we walked into the room and met some of their family and things felt easy and natural. Then their family left and we visited, and it just flowed naturally. They are wonderful people, and we really respect them. Lil' Man is a lucky boy, and our whole family is lucky to get to have them in our lives. We love that we've have involvement with the birth fathers in our first two adoptions now. And the love and maturity of Lil' Man's birth mom blew me away. What incredible people we have in our lives--first Bean's birth family, and now Lil' Man's, not to mention our adorable children themselves--we are richly blessed.

After visiting with Lil' Man's birth parents for longer than we'd been scheduled, and cutting into the next family's time, and holding Lil' Man (eek! Yes, we got to hold our cutie on his first day!) we went home. We did feel a bit antsy, because we really didn't know what would happen, but we knew we'd been 100% ourselves, and then later that night, as we restlessly tossed and turned in bed, the phone rang. It was a bit before midnight. It was Lil' Man's birth father, telling us that they just couldn't wait for tomorrow to tell us that they'd picked us, and we were going to be Lil Man's mom and dad. Shaun and I of course began cheering and I began making lists of baby names and things we needed to buy, clean, organize, do...I'm a list-lady...while Shaun began calling our families...It was the first of many truly awesome sleepless nights. I'll post more soon :) 

10 comments:

  1. That's so exciting! Congratulations, guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a whirlwind. Congratulations!!! So happy for your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ohhh i've been waiting for this!!! so so SO exciting!! what an incredible story! i can't wait to hear more :) i'm SO happy for you guys!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't make it past the first sentence without crying. I am so so happy for you! Your Mack is gorgeous and finally home.

    ReplyDelete
  5. pure joy is what I feel about all of this:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are so in tune to the spirit about what is happening in your life. I love and admire you. That is so special that you got to hold him on his first day here on earth, also I love how close you stay with the birth families. I think it is so healthy for everyone. (I think at one time in my life I had a different opinion because I am selfish) I think you are remarkable, and I am so happy that your sweet children have you and you them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow-wie! That is so crazy how quick of a process that was for you! I might have freaked out a bit not having much notice, but it seems like you were kind of prepared for it! How wonderful that your sweet little boy was able to join your family in such a surprising and fun way!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's so wonderful! And so crazy fast, too - how exciting and awesome. I'm sure your hands are so full at the moment but every day I keep hoping and checking to see more posts of your baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wowwowowowow. This is such a great story. And now if anyone ever tells you about their "surprise" baby you can say, "Uh, no. Let me tell you about a surprise baby!" A wonderful, happy surprise!

    ReplyDelete

thanks for commenting!

Search Our Blog

Pageviews

Translate