11.25.2014

Recipe: Eggnog French Toast

My new favorite breakfast recipe! 
Although I do recommend using less butter, unless it's your husband's birthday. ;)

I am beginning to to realize that we are french toast people. I always thought we were more the waffle type, since we are definitely in love with waffles, but french toast just has a way of singing to my soul. I tend to avoid french toast as a menu item because it omits the opportunity to have eggs as a side, and I love eggs. But this also means that I love french toast. Anyway, I'll cease my ramble. To the point:

For the husband's birthday he requested french toast for breakfast. But I couldn't just make normal french toast. Boring! A few weeks before we made pumpkin french toast and it was fabulous. So of course that was the first french toast recipe I thought about making, but then I remembered a scrumptious looking eggnog french toast I had seen on pinterest. It looked scrumptious, and different (I love love love trying different recipes) and Shaun is crazy about eggnog. It was perfect! And so I whipped up a batch of this absolutely fantastic breakfast. I highly recommend it, it's even better than it sounds. I used homemade bread sliced thick, and topped it with pomegranate seeds (the fancy term for that is apparently pomegranate aerials? Who knew?) and a generous dusting of powdered sugar. It didn't even need maple syrup! That shouldn't stop you from drizzling some on though. The kids really enjoyed this too, they both gobbled it up! Definitely a winner! We are planning on making it a few more times while eggnog is still in season.

Eggnog French Toast

Ingredients:

  • 1 loaf of good-quality bread, sliced thick (about 8 slices)
  • 3 eggs
  • 1 cup eggnog
  • 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • Pinch of cinnamon 
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • Pinch of ground nutmeg
  • Pomegranate seeds, to garnish
  • Powdered sugar for dusting
  • Butter and pure maple syrup, if desired
Directions:
  1. Heat a nonstick skillet or griddle to about 350 degrees F. If your pan tends to get food stuck on it more, grease generously with butter. 
  2. In a large, shallow bowl whisk eggs and eggnog together well. Add vanilla, cinnamon, salt and nutmeg. Dredge bread slices one at a time in the egg mixture, coating each side and placing them on the hot skillet to brown. Flip between cooking to cook each side. 
  3. Dust generously with powdered sugar and sprinkle pomegranate seeds on top. In addition to looking pretty, the pomegranate is a great flavor and texture to go with, I highly recommend sprinkling a good handful on! Serve with butter and pure maple syrup if desired, and enjoy. 

1 comment:

thanks for commenting!

Search Our Blog

Pageviews

Translate