1.19.2015

DIY: Homemade Lotion


I recently discovered homemade lotion, and I am so obsessed with it. My kids have dry skin, especially in the wintertime, we often have issues with eczema during the cold season, but so far this year we've been able to avoid any bad rashes by using really good, moisturizing and simple lotion. My friend Amy taught me how to make this at a church activity a few months ago and I really love it--it's creamy and really luscious feeling, and I just love that I can make it myself, it makes me feel cool ;)
---

Homemade Lotion
Ingredients:

  • 3/4 cup extra-virgin, unrefined coconut oil
  • 1/4 cup olive oil
  • 4 Tbsp beeswax
  • 1 tsp liquid vitamin e
  • 1 cup water
  • 15 drops peppermint oil (or whatever other scented oil you like, I like lavender too)

Directions:

  1. Melt coconut oil, olive oil and beeswax in a double broiler on medium heat, until beeswax is completely melted. Remove from heat. Allow mixture to cool a little (just a couple of minutes so it's not too hot to handle). 
  2. Stir in vitamin e. 
  3. Pour water into a blender (I use Blendtec and I love it! I think any blender should work well as long as you turn onto high). While blender is running, slowly pour in the warm mixture. Add peppermint oil and run blender until the lotion is creamy and well-blended. 
  4. Pour into jars to store. Can be stored at room temperature. It keeps for at least 4 months, I'm pretty sure longer too, I just haven't had mine last monger that that :)

A couple of notes:
I love the flexibility and versatility of this recipe. You can change the ratio of olive oil:coconut oil, and swap in other kinds of oil too, just make sure it totals 1 cup and you're good to go. I have not had these problems but my friend assures me that if your lotion seems weird when you finish (like too thick or if it separates), it's not too late. You can pour it back into the blender to mix it more, you can add more water if needed, etc.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting!

Search Our Blog

Pageviews

Translate