2.18.2015

Recipe: Orange-Spice Bread (Adapted from "French Kids Eat Everything")





This post is a continuation of my last one. I've been trying out a few of the recipes from "French Kids Eat Everything." This was the first recipe I tried. I enjoyed it, and my kids enjoyed it even more than me. Another favorite about this recipe is that it really is easy enough that kids can help with prep. Bean loves greasing pans with the pastry brush especially. This kept her busy enough the first time we made it that I didn't end up having any other tasks for her before the bread was ready to bake. 

For the original recipe, refer to "French Kids Eat Everything." Because I love change, I did add a few small twists to this. I reduced the sugar (recipe calls for 1 cup of honey and 1/2 cup molasses, I used 1/2 cup honey and 1/2 cup molasses, and I didn't think the bread was missing any sweetness, it tasted lovely) and used all whole wheat pastry flour. Once I also prepared it in the blender, because I didn't want to zest my orange, ha :) So I put all of the dry ingredients in the blender with thinly sliced orange peel and blended it, then went on to do all of the stove prep, and poured the hot mixture into the blender, pulsing a few times until it was airy. Turned out great but my Blendtec got a bit overheated, so unless you have a great machine (looooove my Blendtec) maybe don't try that method. I think it would taste good with a bit of bran or ground flaxseed folded in too. Maybe next time. :) Bean and LilMan loved this bread--a tasty, whole grain treat that didn't leave me feeling terribly conflicted or guilty when they asked for more.



Orange-Spice Bread (Adapted from "French Kids Eat Everything")


Ingredients 

  • 3 cups whole wheat pastry flour 
  • 2½ teaspoons baking soda 
  • 1½ teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • ¼ teaspoon nutmeg 
  • ¼ teaspoon ground cloves  
  • ¼ teaspoon ground ginger 
  • Pinch of sea salt
  • ½ cup honey 
  • ½ cup molasses  
  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 1 tablespoon orange zest 
  • 1½ cups milk 


Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 325F. Butter a large (9x5) loaf pan (or 2-13 smaller loaf pans) and dust with flour. 
  2. In a large mixing bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, and spices. 
  3. In a medium pot over low heat, stir together the honey, molasses, milk, butter, and orange zest until combined. Remove from heat. Stir the liquid mixture into the dry mixture until combined, but do not over mix it. It will have an airy mousse like consistency. Pour the batter into the prepared bread loaf pan. Bake for 50-60 minutes. It's done when a toothpick comes out clean.

No comments:

Post a Comment

thanks for commenting!

Search Our Blog

Pageviews

Translate